> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clan

Is anybody here interested in a summer project? I don't know how serious it is at the moment, but I do have a main goal in mind: to found and cultivate a fiercely impressive gaming clan, spanning over several games. They games may include StarCraft, Diablo, Guild Wars, and Enemy Territory, though none of these is final, and new games may be introduced at any time prior to the founding of this clan.

I have a few names under consideration, one of which being SEAR: Systematic Elimination of All Resistance. I'm going to have to talk to some of my friends about this however, as it was their idea, and they currently have a small private Guild Wars guild under the name. Another name idea, significantly more common, is Clan X. I've been in a few clans under this name, most of which founded by myself and my good friend Justin.

Requirements. Yes, we will have to set standards for our clan members based on skill, maturity, and (maybe, though probably not) how much beer they can hold. All members will by no means have to play all the games, and will probably be able to get by with being good at one one of them. It's usually better to specialize...

Founding this clan, assuming we ever get around to it, will take a lot of work and man-power.

-As a web-designer, I myself will be able to create a great looking static website for our clan, accompanied by a fully-functional forum. As an experienced PHP and CGI coder, my friend Justin will, assuming he joins and/or helps out our coalition, should be able to make that website fully functional and interactive, doing nearly everything from live ranking and scoring updates and statistics, to allowing any member to custimize a public profile and certain website-related preferences at any time.

-Should we play Enemy Territory, we will need a server, and gaming servers usually cost money. In addition, we will need somebody, or preferable multiple people, with experience running the server who can do setup, maintance, and install a variety of mods.

-Should we play Guild Wars, we will need in game currency. Capes are 2,000 gold each, and Guild Halls have ranged in the past from anywhere between 40,000 gold and 100,000 gold.

-Should we play StarCraft and Diablo, we will need bots. Though most types of bots are banned by Blizzard, some of the Battle.Net user commands actually support the use of chat bots. These will be used to run our channels, help members communicate, help out visitors and new members, and attune to our overall orginization and communication. Again, people with experience with bots will be needed to set them up and to keep them working.

-For any and all of our games, we will need permanent 24/7 Teamspeak servers. This will probably cost additional money. The reason why I don't want user-hosted servers is because there is no garuntee that enough of them will be running at the same time. People go on vacations, people lose their power, anything can happen really.

-IRC chat is optional. We will already have a fully functional forum, but I feel like a clan spanning as many games as we will should span many communication interfaces, and be accessable to everyone and anyone with internet.

I'll post up some more information later. As of now, I deem this clan the "Final Phoenix Project". It will more or less be a rebirth of several smaller clans I've setup over the years, and whether it succeeds or not, this will be my final attempt at founding a gaming clan.

If you are interested, you may reply to this topic or contact me through any number of media, all of which can be found in my forum profile. AIM and e-mail are preferred though, as you will have the best chance of contacting me via either one of them.

I am already commited to clan that I have been in for about 8 months. I could give you some pointers and the clan has been around for over 5 years. Our site is www.clan-aod.net.

Ambitious project, pick a game that your really good at and recruit similar skilled players. Decide if your goal is playing for fun or to dominate the league tables and make sure all your players share the same views. Older players are usually more stable and mature, more than one younster usually leads to trouble.
    Concentrate on one game to start with and if players express an intrest in other games and you can get the players then become multi-gameing.

I play Enemy territory, I play RTCW more so im pretty good at ET because its easier.

Et is more n00b friendly on publics, damn riflenadenoobs interupting my rambo medic tactics.

if you did make that, i only plan on getting one of the games, thats gw and i would want a guild that i know... so...i would know you from here

as for the other games i havent layed any of them :P whats enemy territory cost?

Ive been in many clans, one failed because they recruited too many people in such a short time plus some of the members not getting along so make your members get along. The second one is currently failing due to lack of communication, just two tips for you.

Enemy territory is free. ^_^
    Download it here (windows version)

Originally posted by JustinB+Jun 13 2005, 10:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JustinB &#064; Jun 13 2005, 10:16 PM)</div>
    I am already commited to clan that I have been in for about 8 months. I could give you some pointers and the clan has been around for over 5 years. Our site is www.clan-aod.net.
    [snapback]63791[/snapback]
    [/b]
    Sure, pointers would be great. I&#39;ll check out your clan&#39;s site after I post.

<!--QuoteBegin-2xsess
    @Jun 14 2005, 10:19 AM
    Ambitious project, pick a game that your really good at and recruit similar skilled players. Decide if your goal is playing for fun or to dominate the league tables and make sure all your players share the same views. Older players are usually more stable and mature, more than one younster usually leads to trouble.
    Concentrate on one game to start with and if players express an intrest in other games and you can get the players then become multi-gameing.
    [snapback]63934[/snapback]
    Yeah, I&#39;ll probably have to take it slowly. I do however, have a great variety of "on-line friends" who play all these games with me, so finding initial skilled and mature people shouldn&#39;t be too much of a problem.

Originally posted by deep blue+Jun 14 2005, 12:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deep blue &#064; Jun 14 2005, 12:39 PM)</div>
    if you did make that, i only plan on getting one of the games, thats gw and i would want a guild that i know... so...i would know you from here
    [snapback]63991[/snapback]
    [/b]
    Would you like to try and help us out now? Or do you want me to contact you once we get out Guild War portion set-up?

Originally posted by H34dShOt@Jun 14 2005, 01:42 PM
    Ive been in many clans, one failed because they recruited too many people in such a short time plus some of the members not getting along so make your members get along. The second one is currently failing due to lack of communication, just two tips for you.
    [snapback]64016[/snapback]
    I&#39;ll keep those in mind. Communication has always been very important to me, which is my reason for wanting a forum, chat bots (battle.net), IRC, etc.) As for members getting along... well that&#39;s a bit difficult to enforce. Idealy though, the majority of the clan will be constructed of mature players so it shouldn&#39;t be a huge issue.

<!--QuoteBegin-Tyson
    @Jun 14 2005, 02:07 PM
    Enemy territory is free. ^_^
    Download it here (windows version)
    [snapback]64032[/snapback]
    Yup, the team working on it were origionally designing it to be a multiplayer expansion for Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but for some reason they were not able to finish the project, so they tied up all the loose ends and turned it into a stand-alone downloadable free game. It&#39;s loads of fun, you should try it sometime...

Note: I&#39;m working on the website for it as I&#39;m typing this... as soon as I can get hosting I&#39;ll have it up.

Me thinks by looking at your last post you may well succeed :lol: