No Members online

» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Default Web Designing Basics - How do I do it?

Hey guys.

I've been thinking about getting into a contest in school for web designing - they'll be providing us with a theme, and we've got to create a fully functional website with it. We get to work in small teams, but that's not the point ... what I really want to know is what kind of process there is behind web designing? Say someone gives you a theme ... for example, air planes (the real one would obviously be more specific). How would you go about designing an awesome, clean, easy to use and overall amazing website for it?

Say I've got a sketch of how I want my site to look on paper, just a rough idea. How do I turn that into a website? Do I design individual parts and then start screwing around with some HTML + flash + javascript and whatnot? Not sure here, first time doing an actual website, but I've got a bunch of experience with Photoshop, and a decent amount of coding experience.

Another (somewhat unrelated) question - when people post images of a website template ... when you get the actual template, does that come with code for the website, or is it just an idea as 1 single image?

thanks for helping,
    ~Holyhades
    Last edited by holyhades666; 11-13-2011 at 11:34 PM.

There are lots of ways of approaching it, but I can go through my design process.

First, I sketch up a design. I can come up with a lot of designs, and work through them to find the idea I like the most. From there, I will draw a mock up in Photoshop, or Illustrator, to see how it will look on the computer. Once it is on my computer, I will do a little bit more play with the various elements, such as sizes, gaps, empty space, to optimize it. I will then move to the coding phase. A lot of my designing is done through DIVs. I prefer then 100% over TABLEs because they respond to CSS very well. When there is an element that requires a picture to be in it, I will create that portion alone in photoshop, and save it at the right size, and add it into the code. When the coding is done, I will test out the design in a few different browsers, as well as on my iPad. Then I add in the content, and preview it once more.

Commissions and stickers available via linktree here.

Thanks so much for the help guys