No Members online

» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Everyone has to have someone they look up to in the music community.

Personally, my favourite musician is Fran Mark, the drummer for From Autumn to Ashes. He has such a great drumming style and really original rythms. Not to mention the fact that he's also the singer for the band and he has such a great voice. Seriously, how many people do you know that can play 16x double bass and do vocals at the same time? Fantastic musician.

Tom Waits and Jeff Buckley.
    Resident father figure.

Im a big fan of Angus Young and Jimmy Page. Both guitarists Angus is from acdc and jimmy paige from led zeppelin.

Marten Hagstrom

Jack Johnson

Just kidding... Johan Hegg

I see noone else actually explained why... care to elaborate anyone? Why do you look up to them?

Tom Waits has a really unique style and voice. He's willing to use anything to create the sound he wants. For instance, in one of his songs he plays the chicken bones; that's real chicken bones, it's not a special instrument. I also really like his style, it's ominous and sincere. Pretty similar to my own piano style. Most of his CD's are actually soundtracks for plays, which I think is really cool.

Jeff Buckley was an excellent song writter and an amazing guitar player. His guitar was subtle and smooth, not like all these heavy metal guys that get all the credit for using heavy distortion and fast licks. His music flowed beautifully and his voice is soothing. He also had tremendous respect for the musicians that preceded him. He did a lot of cover songs during live shows, but not the typical cover. For instance his cover of Van Morrison's "The Way Young Lovers Do". Van Morrison's version has this weird piano in it. Buckley's version sounds absolutely nothing like it, it's entirely his own style. He even did covers of his own songs, which I find amazingly cool. If you get a studio recording and two live versions of one of his songs, none of them are the same. He's not one of those people that go out and pump out the same dry tune everyday on tour. He played how he felt at that moment, and it shows. He WAS his music, more than any musician I've ever heard. I mean...when you listen to his first CD "Live At Sin-é"...it's just absolutely mezmerizing. It's unbeliavable to think that this is just one guy, playing in a tiny coffee shop in New York. He wasn't created by a record label, people heard about him playing at this little coffee shop and flocked to it. That's how he made it, real raw talent not record label hype and well placed advertising. Unfortunetly he died after making only 1 studio CD. Since his death Sony music has released Legacy Editions of his CD's (Live At Sin-é and Grace so far) with tracks that didn't originally make the record and a nice DVD, as well as a bunch of live recordings from around the globe. His talent and music lives on, even though he does not.

Recommended listen to list:

Tom Waits
    - "I'll Be Gone" (from Franks Wild Years)
    - "Reeperbahn" (from Alice)
    - "Poor Edward" (from Alice)

Jeff Buckley
    - "Dream Brother" (from Grace)
    - "Eternal Life" (from Live At Sin-é or Grace... I prefer the live version)
    - "Je N'en Connais Pas La Fin" (Live At Sin-é)
    - "Yeh Jo Halka Halka Saroor Hai" (Live At Sin-é) -- this is a cover of a pakastani musician that played often in New York parks
    Resident father figure.

Angus Young is just ridiculous. He is crazy on stage and is the best guitarist of all time in my opinion.