» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Signatures are great and all... but...

One sentence summary: Less signatures, more other stuff.

Here's the full version:

Hey guys,
    so I came on this site years ago... i think 2009? (Yeah... I just checked) Way back then things were a little different. We pretty much all knew each other and everyone commented on everyone else's stuff... and all our work was significantly worse than what we post now... But since then everything has gone to signatures. It's like the only thing I ever see on here, and it's not like this forum wasn't ever signature focused, even way back when (i feel old), but now there's no variety.

Is it too clichéd to urge everyone to try something other than signatures, something other than manipulations and photoshop effects? Maybe post more about favorite artists and stuff. Honestly, I'm not on here often enough to request this of other people, but I think it would be great if this forum expanded a little. I always say I'll try to be on much more often, but this time i really will try to post more stuff.

Signatures are great for getting a strong understanding of Photoshop and Adobe in general. I can honestly say i gained the majority of my understanding of photoshop by dicking around and making (horrible) signatures (god they were so bad...). That started in maybe 8th grade. Since then i've moved on to so much more, but when I go on here i see so many people who are just sticking to what they know. Maybe y'all don't really have aspirations to become a graphic designer or something along those lines, and challenging yourself may be useless, but why not? Try something new! Something bigger, something less constrained! Start with an 8.5"x11" page instead of a 250PX x 500PX canvas. The new things you create may look worse than what you're used to creating, but everything has to start somewhere.

Try it! Just one!

If you post something other than a tag it's either ignored or shot down in some way. I would say many of us do other things, went to college/uni to study the subject, or even have a job in the industry, but signatures are the best way to relax your graphic hand after a long week of doing other boring shit. Plus they're one of the few pieces in the design world that you can comment constructively on, things like Logos, letterheads, cards etc... tend to be from the artists perspective.
    They are also mostly reserved to commercial/private situations so it's probably not in the best light to go about posting them on forums.

Besides this place is mostly dead, it's difficult enough to get a decent comment on a tag let alone anything else.

One of the sexiest tags I've ever seen, from Radillac <3

that's kinda what i'm talking about though... the fact that there's a ton of posting but no replies... and i mean i'm just kinda sad that all i ever see on here is signatures... Maybe i should ask for more commenting instead of new materials? idk... the way the void is now just makes me sad

It's sucky isn't it =[ There's still an influx of new members popping up constantly, but nothing to really tempt them to stay..

also... so many new members, so little input from them!! Why???

Quote Originally Posted by gr4ph1kP4ND4 View Post
    also... so many new members, so little input from them!! Why???
    I still haven't worked that one out. I put it down to nobody replying to their intro thread, or them seeing little to no members online or something.

that and maybe it's just like a vicious circle. No new members post, so no one else posts because they don't see anyone posting which means no new members will post... wtf...

I am making larger pieces. The lack of products from me though comes from the fact that I am just starting digital painting. Ill be posting my current piece soon since it is atleast decent enough to post. I comment on some threads but it seems like I am just going to be repeating myself most of the time or I really just have nothing to say.

... i made graph a gift once.... she never even noticed... :-((

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2022/graphpanda.png

XL
    Last edited by Xelo; 02-27-2013 at 07:16 AM.

AWW BB I'm sorry!! you gotta message me when i'm on a dry spell for me to notice <3

it's now in my signature
    Last edited by gr4ph1kP4ND4; 02-27-2013 at 08:45 AM.