No Members online

» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Default (Photoshop Help) Need to make a letter transparent, but not the blending effects

It's pretty difficult to explain, check out this image to see what I'm working with. I feel this h

So basically I'm trying to create the effect that these two letters are laid over each over, like this. I've made two white letters, and what I did was give them two different patterns(they have transparent backgrounds) in the blending options. But because the actual letter is white, they don't overlap how I'd like. Basically, I'd like the white sections of the letter to be transparent, but I don't know how. If anyone knows how to do this I'd be very happy.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

"The key to success is to be able to sacrifice what you are for what you will become"

I imagine setting the closest layer (Ie the one on top of the other) to something like Soft Light would do the trick you're looking for. I'm not entirely confident that Soft Light would be the one, but just scan through all of the options until you come up with the desired effect.

If you don't know where to find this by the way, it's in a drop down box on the layers pallet right above the layer you have highlighted in that picture, where it says "Normal".

Also, it's been a while since I did something similar but from what I remember, sometimes having effects on a layer causes it to not do anything when you do the above, to fix this (if it happens) you'll need to rasterize the layer (Right click it, or go up to Layer>Rasterize>Type (I think)). Make sure you're happy with its size first though, because when you do this it makes that layer an image and you won't be able to edit the text anymore and it may get a bit choppy when moved around a bit.

Holy fuck I'm a helpful dashing bastard.

One of the sexiest tags I've ever seen, from Radillac <3

Quote Originally Posted by Distello View Post
    I imagine setting the closest layer (Ie the one on top of the other) to something like Soft Light would do the trick you're looking for. I'm not entirely confident that Soft Light would be the one, but just scan through all of the options until you come up with the desired effect.

If you don't know where to find this by the way, it's in a drop down box on the layers pallet right above the layer you have highlighted in that picture, where it says "Normal".

Also, it's been a while since I did something similar but from what I remember, sometimes having effects on a layer causes it to not do anything when you do the above, to fix this (if it happens) you'll need to rasterize the layer (Right click it, or go up to Layer>Rasterize>Type (I think)). Make sure you're happy with its size first though, because when you do this it makes that layer an image and you won't be able to edit the text anymore and it may get a bit choppy when moved around a bit.

Holy fuck I'm a helpful dashing bastard.
    Why didn't I think of that!

Thanks a ton, I've got college now but when I get back I'll give it a try.

You are indeed, a helpful dashing bastard!
    "The key to success is to be able to sacrifice what you are for what you will become"

If you're trying to turn the layer off, and keep the blending options just set fill to 0%

^Great what I think is an abstract giftie from Distello^