» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRENDWHORE

trends in art?

. A trend in digital art? Is it the same as we see out in the, forgive me for the choice of words, “real” art scene? (Just kidding, guys ;-) … or let me rephrase: “non-digital art scene”?) As online communities transcend national boundaries, what are their themes? On what scale can we observe political art? Is the word “trend” already an artistic “no-no” or just the description of an sometimes even involuntary common string that appears partially throughout the art scene as it fertilizes itself?

So what’s a “trend”? If you look it up, you will find that its meaning in common language dwells between “a common direction”, “fashion” and a “relation to social behavior” of which the latter may encircle the artistic approach. If you recall some common prejudices against those freaks spending hours in front of their computers, all drowning in the world of pixels and vectors and desperately trying to communicate online as to compensate for their inability to build social relations IRL, we may find a whole new set of political and social references born on a very global scale.

Is this the point where once more the train of thought draws back to a circle and the question mark behind the idea of “a digital reflection of reality”?

THE PARTS IN RED I DID NOT WRITE I JUST FOUND IT ON THE INTERWEB

I see you wrote a lot of this post :P

didn't read the whole thing...the red started trippin me out lol

Red face

I commented on the trendwhore issue in THIS thread.

This forum is different because people give critique on art so when someone does something good and that person passes on feedback the next person follows and so on.

We've been through a few 'phases' now. I like the vector, and the fractal phase. Atleast people are getting better, GFXVoid is almost like a school! In the beginning a lot of the members were noobie - so it's nice improvment from those days.

and from school people move on, so dont think it as a school ^^

It would be cool if there was a "school" program in this forum. A bunch of people can go on IRC and there's a "teacher" telling everyone on how to do something in PS.

Bah, we have the tutorials section for that ^_^.

we really dont need people telling other people how to make something in ps. i think thats the problem with all the trendwhoring right now. every one starts off not having any idea how to do something, so they resort to tutorials. because of this, they never develop their own style, their own way of doing things, and everyone just becomes a clone off of another designer.

yeah i agree with that undertone, but i don't think the problem is because everyone is resorting to tutorials, its because of tutorials like "How to make a sig just like mine" by whoever. i find a lot of people jump into PS and try to learn complicated techniques without mastering basics first and thats what leads to the lack of individuality because like you said it is just a copied technique/style from another designer.

tutorials that teach basic skills and techniques are tremendously helpful, but its the tutorials that step-by-step show you how to make an entire piece which leave no room for your own creativity or style.

If someone could tell me, that would be great.

Tutorials are tremendously helpfull to those that are learning, like me, and I don't believe that people that are just learning really can develop there own style until they reach a certain level of expertice. Also what i think is a big problem is the lack of truly unique art in the world. Even around the forums you can see where some people follow a trend and where others do not, and I applaud those that don't.

I remember doing a bunch of tutorials a year and a half ago, when my Paint Shop Pro 7 quit working, and I'll never regret that.

But whenever I read a tutorial, I try to do something different (in most cases), instead of going word for word in it.

A lot of times it looks better, and you still get some pride that you didn't fully 'rip' the tutorial, and you created your own unique design... which you later learn that it has been done before in the past :P

Ah, the filter whoring days! I still think filter whoring hasn't been exploited as much as it could've been.