» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I hope to get one for christmas, under the descuise that I can use it for school, and I need a powerhouse. (Secretly to use for playing easy requirement games, hehe)

Any suggestions or good deals? I was thinking about getting an Apple Powerbook or something. Don't really want to go anything associated with Dell.

hmm... well i duno bout too many laptops, but the apple ones are sweet, get the small one, but you were right with not wantin a dell

Originally posted by deep blue@21 Minutes Ago
    hmm... well i duno bout too many laptops, but the apple ones are sweet, get the small one, but you were right with not wantin a dell
    [snapback]86260[/snapback]
    Indeed. No more fanboy for me. Screw Dell, Intel, and Microsoft.

I don't have any views on Ati or Nvidia, so whichever one hosts Quakecon I'm down with. :P

I've heard alot about the powerbook, but I got up and researched around...Yeah, I think the little 12" powerbook is 1,200 I guess it's not bad considering the lowest Ibook is what, a k on the dot?
    I really want an apple, so lets get some opinions on them.

get an alienware they are great for games and look sooo cool

www.alienware.com

I feel that Dell does make a good quality product, although after checking out their unbelievable prices for laptops (in comparison to other brands) I was disgusted and I won't be purchasing anything from them in the future.

I suggest you purchase a desktop replacement. You may pay around 1,000$ (for like a toshiba or a gateway - ideally get a Toshiba or something along those lines) and you'll got one powerful computer! 1k can buy you a 3.2ghz 512ram 64bit 17inch screen thing - well worth it. I wouldnt suggest investing anything less than 1,000 in a laptop - you'll get a horrible mess.

I've used both Toshiba and Hp/Compaq laptop's for years. Both are very good and reliable brands. Personally I would recommend getting a laptop that has WinXP, not an Apple laptop, only because of a wider support for software that you may choose to use. Also if you ever want to get games, well apple aint really the appropriate platform.

If you go for intel, well the mobility range are realy nice, good performance at reduced heat and noise (less need for active cooling).

My home laptop is the top of the line Sony, running mobility (centrino) and i love it. My partner has the older top of line Sony, which came as a P4. Its very nice, just the fan is obvious and runs hotter.

I currently use a Compaq nx9010 at work, which is very reliable also. We don't have gateway here in Oz (since they downsized worldwide) but my partner's previous laptop was a gateway and that was very reliable.

I've heard good reports about IBM, i just dont like their mouse dongle thingy and find their key placement on their keyboard painful. They often twist around their keyboard for special keys, incredibly annoying.

Things to look for in a laptop include:

* Integrated WiFi, including physical switch to turn it off
    * physical switch for volume, mute, brightness
    * no cd/dvd tray at front, make sure its on the side (if you rest it in your lap, you can accidently trigger it to open)
    * left control key, left alt key are in appropriate position, not moved by special keys like function or laptop specific
    * enter key, back space, back slash and forward slash are in normal position
    * visual physical indicators ofr num lock, caps lock, wifi on/off, mute on/off.

I've been using laptops for years, and the above would have to be the key areas which become frustrating if you dont have the keyboard is the biggest factor, as nothing is worse than modified keyboards which move the keys mentioned above.

btw, a thin laptop is the best, makes it easier to type on, but not always possible depending on type your going for. Also remember to check the battery life, the warrenty on both labour and parts. Confirm that warrenty includes battery.

That looks pretty nice. Im not sure i would trust that site tho.

I would suggest something like this.

-Some kind of designed processor exclusivly for a laptop.

- ATLEAST 512 ram. 1 gig is prefferred.

- 60 gig hd. Or higher

- Video memory of 128 mb

- WIFI g/b or higher

- Long battery usage

Theres more but its late. Lol.

you can best buy a apple laptop...i think the are the best:P

Actually, i woudlnt suggest an apple. Due to compatability issues. I would suggest windows. Anywho... Dells are pretty nice, along with Toshiba and Hp.

So follow mine and Metal skin's list you should be ready to take on any application out there :wink: