> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of work

:huh: Ah well, i just thought that this needs some discussions, the quality of the work in showcase sucks :huh: about 10 % of the work i see i bother to comment on.
    and there already was some discussion in some thread about this. i think.
    So I was thinking that there should be some kind of limitation or something of how crappy work can u put there. After all its showcase. a showcase should be a highlight of the artists work. Not every crappy 2 minute piece. of course its a problem that so many people are making purely sigs. w/e

oh well just had to get this of my mind.

sum1 shoot me.

We tried doing the advanced showcase, which was supposed to be for only the best work which would receive the most harsh critique. Then some people started putting junk up there, and got their feelings hurt when it was critiqued... so that was the end of that. I doubt you're going to see an advanced or members only showcase anytime soon.
    Resident father figure.

What Unit said. They just couldn't handle the extreme critique, and some couldn't hand out good critique either.
    Simply; you.

thats disappointing, having an 'advanced' showcase would really improve this forum because like many others have said there is just too many showcase threads with "i was bored so i made this in 3.6 minutes" somewhere in the title.

i don't know about everyone else but personally when i look at a piece that someone has posted in the showcase arena and its a poorly done piece with very little effort put into it, then it makes me lose respect for this person as an artist because i wonder why they would take the time to pollute the showcase forum with crap they threw together in a couple minutes and put their name beside it.

If someone could tell me, that would be great.

It also depends on the level of the people posting also. I agree with dragoneye in that there really should be a true showcase forum. i also think there should be the one you guys have to. That way noobs (like me) can post and hopefully get some good suggestions, I know I have. Anyways I think it would add quite a lot to the forum and to the people that get there fellings hurt from the harsh critique, just tell them that if they were going to post something that was not up to par then they shouldn't have posted it there in the first place. You should also keep it heavily moderated. I think it would addd a lot of prestige to the forum. Anyway thats just what I think.

Well, I guess you can't do anything about it. Mainly just comment on how to improve their sigs/whatever.

And if their not trying...well nonetheless comment them; commenting cant hurt could it? :P

I think that maybe if we were to have an 'Advanced Showcase' room, maybe TacoX should give only some users access to make topics there. That would cause less spam..

and if some users were let to the advanced section, the users(some) left out would start ranting that they should get in too.

but i think that a sticky saying something about the quality could do something. tho i dont know what should it exactly say :blink:

And about the quality, i didnt mean the level of the artist, i ment the effort, showcase should be something that they consider as the best of the best of their work.
    I think that if you havent tried to do the best u can for the piece, u shouldnt post it. And stuff u've made in boredom should be left out too.
    Only polished stuff should be in there.
    Of course it would reduce the number of the posts there, but id rather have 50 quality topics than 100 crap topics.

It would make sense that it would improve the forum, although it really didn't. People can't take carsh criticism, and when I made it peolpe started doing stupid things like insulting back members on their work (if the member gave them a bad score), becoming unactive, etc. It hurt the community so it had to go (it was literally up for a few days before I had reports of severe negativity).

I was thinking of making an advanced community some time in the future, although im not sure (invites only). I don't think it would work out because I think members would get insulted quickly and leave.

We get a much bigger response to images that DeviantArt does (most images posted go without comments). I think its best to try to give everyone advice. If you keep giving them advice images will take longer and the output will be better (more advice, more things to do, etc).

Think of it that way possibly.

I don't think that a new "pro" or "advanced" showcase would work at all. It would have way too many risks and bad things and i personally don't see really what we would get out of it. Everything that you said about the "pro" showcase should be how this showcase is. I agree that the quality here sucks. People don't know what to strive for, and their idols are sig makers. I think that maybe the main way for people to improve would be an "introduction to digital art" thread that'd be locked and stickied. I could help write it, but basically it'd be an article of what the definition of digital art is and what you should strive for. It would also outline the different catagories of digital art so people that maybe aren't so good at abstract or sigs could find their niche. I think that if people here focused on art pieces and not sigs, they could really improve.
    If you want help...
    Screw you
    If you make sigs...
    Screw you

i'd like to see alot more critique in the digital art forum. the only way any of the members here are going to get better is if we learn from our mistakes. maybe a digital art highlight reel kind of thing? where the best digital art peices in that forum get to go on that highlight reel. it would drive people to actually work their ass of to make something good. but, then again people wont like getting left out....